Thank you for your interest in becoming a tutor!
Please fill out the 'Become a Tutor' Form to the right.
Orientation: We will contact you to schedule a one on one Tutor Orientation with our Executive Director.
Training: Register for the training by emailing or calling us so we can provide sufficient materials for all participants. Cost is $40 for tutors who will be working at the MVLC and $60 for tutors who will be working at all other sites.
Volunteer Tutors provide instruction and encouragement to adults in small groups. Tutors choose one of the following areas of instruction: English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL), GED in English or Spanish, U.S. Citizenship preparation, Pre Certified Nursing Assistants, basic computers, basic Spanish literacy, or Workforce Literacy at a business site.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Complete the new tutor orientation and the volunteer tutor training (ESOL or GED)
- Observe and assist in at least four sessions with current tutors.
- Explore additional tutoring resources on the internet to supplement the core materials
- Be prepared to tutor a small group of students using appropriate lessons and materials
- Provide a safe, stress-free, friendly environment for students.
- Encourage students with positive words and affirmations
- Guide students and equip them with the tools for a better life and to be better contributors to society.
- Commitment of at least 2 hours of tutoring per week for a minimum of 3 to 6 months.
- Must be at least 18 years of age