Upcoming Tutor Training
Saturday, April 13, 2019
8:30am to 4:00pm
Thank you for your interest in becoming a tutor! We invite you to schedule an orientation before you attend the training. Please call to make an appointment.
Register for the training by emailing or calling us so we can provide sufficient materials for all participants. Cost is $40 for tutors who will be working at the MVLC and $60 for tutors who will be working at all other sites.
Volunteer Tutors provide instruction and encouragement to adults in small groups. Tutors choose one of the following areas of instruction: English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL), GED in English or Spanish, U.S. Citizenship preparation, Pre Certified Nursing Assistants, basic computers, basic Spanish literacy, or Workforce Literacy at a business site.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Complete the new tutor orientation and the volunteer tutor training (ESOL or GED)
- Observe and assist in at least four sessions with current tutors.
- Explore additional tutoring resources on the internet to supplement the core materials
- Be prepared to tutor a small group of students using appropriate lessons and materials
- Provide a safe, stress-free, friendly environment for students.
- Encourage students with positive words and affirmations
- Guide students and equip them with the tools for a better life and to be better contributors to society.
- Notify your students and MVLC staff in advance if unable to attend a regularly scheduled tutoring session. (You are responsible to call your students if you cannot keep your regularly scheduled tutoring time.)
- Maintain a record of your hours spent tutoring including any preparation time. (attendance sheets are provided for this purpose)
- Maintain a record of the hours each student has attended your tutoring sessions. (attendance sheets are provided for this purpose)
- Submit these records (attendance sheet) to MVLC staff at the end of each term (11 weeks).
- Agree to attend tutor workshops provided by MVLC
- Read and sign the Volunteer Handbook
- Commitment of at least 2 hours of tutoring per week for a minimum of 3 to 6 months.
- Additional time for appropriate lesson planning
- We encourage you to attend the annual tutor appreciation event